Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Winners vs. Losers

Though most of you (save my Sister) figured it out, Daniel "won". After 3 nights of crying, short soothing, crying, crying, short soothing, repeat exponentially and add tears of my own, on Tuesday night we decided the Ferber method was not meant for us. Daniel fell asleep sitting up on the first two nights that we attempted to Ferber-ize him, completely spent, but upright, swaying back and forth as he caught himself from falling even fast asleep. Our 3rd night as I stood outside the door in tears, and then later sitting with my head in my hands listening to his wails Ryan finally said what I think I knew, "Pick him up, this isn't right." And after carrying and comforting him and calming him down, as we put him in our bed (honestly, under usual circumstance he's not in our bed) he completely EXUDED happiness, it was just streaming out of his pores, he was wiggly, laughing, giggling, flapping his arms, touching me, touching Ryan, kicking his legs and could NOT stop smiling...and brought Ryan and I both to tears.

I know we thought that bearing with his sadness and tears was something that we could handle as parents, and something that we were hoping in the end would be better for him. But sometimes it's important to be flexible...and know what your limits are. :) Not to mention your baby's.

We'll have to teach him to sleep in his crib on his own soon. But for now we're enjoying the extra time to snuggle, and calm and soothe...and are loving every minute.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh. Ha. =) hee hee. Geez. Go ahead and call me out on it why don't you! :) That's okay. I still love that little guy. He's always a winner to me!

Dawn said...

"For now we're enjoying the extra time to snuggle, and calm and soothe...and are loving every minute."

Hmm...I'd say it sounds like you're ALL winners!