Saturday, September 25, 2010

little snag

So we've hit a little snag (and we haven't even started yet!).

Part of the IVF process for Rye and I, since I'm a RB1 (retinoblastoma gene) carrier, is that we'll be going through the process of Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis. It allows us to test the embryo after it's been fertilized to see whether Ryan's gene's won out or mine did, and implant only those that are not RB1 carriers.

Pretty amazing. (especially considering they take a 1 cell biopsy from an 8 cell embryo)

The snag we hit is that apparently the PGD test for RB1 isn't common enough for the regular labs to do this yet, not your normal labs in Hawaii (several of which actually do inhouse PGD), not your normal labs on the West Coast (that they use for more complicated tests)...apparently, there might be a lab that they will do a PGD test for RB1 in Chicago...but it takes more paperwork, setting up accounts, jumping through some sort of complicated hoops...

and that's why are schedule is on hold.

So we wait. ;) And I learn to be patient and not to have to have a set schedule at this very moment. (but i'll let you know as soon as I do!)

Thanks for checking in.

love,
stace

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hm... so depending on what happens w/ D and I, we might have to go through this as well.....Chicago huh?

Todd Light said...

If I'm not mistaken, the correct local word to describe this rather annoying little snag is "shugamuggies". Heard it from an old Hawaiian I know...

Chase and Zack said...

thinking positively for you guys! thanks so much for the W & M burgers and fries, magazines, and cake....Such a treat!!!