Friday, June 13, 2008

lingering good-byes

Summer vacation. Who doesn't look forward to summer vacation?! For the first time that I can ever remember in my whole student and educator life...me. Because it means my time at John Muir Elementary is over.

And with heartwarming and aching surprise without even saying so to my kids it turns out they feel the same. Because so many times this week when I ask the standard, "So, are happy it's almost summer vacation?" Instead of the, "Yes! No more school!" or "Yes! No more homework!" They look at me sadly and say, "No. Because it means we don't get to see you again." and every day this week I'm surrounded my kids running up to hug me, sometimes long lingering hugs where they don't let go and they ask, "Why are you leaving?" or "Why do you have to go?" or "Can't you just move your family up here?"

It's sad...and it's sweet...and so many times this week I've had to brush the tears away, or stop myself from crying, because kids are able to switch gears so suddenly and in the middle of being sad and getting me choked up with their arms still around me they'll switch immediately from, "Are you really not gonna be here next year?" to "Look, my tooth is loose!" or "Hey! I'm having a slumber party tonight"

and of course there are the funny ones too -

Kindergarten Boy: why won't you be here next year?
Stacy: i'm moving to hawaii.
K boy: howcome?
S: because I'm moving to be closer with my family.
K: family?
S: yes, my dad, my grandparents, my...
K: what?! you're a DAUGHTER?!
S: yes (laughing outloud)
K: WHAT?!! you have a DAD?!

hee hee hee... lingering goodbyes are hard, but boy can they also be amusing. ;)

No comments: